Re: Linux file locking problems - a new variation on the old…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: John Henders
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Linux file locking problems - a new variation on the old problem
> This poses a bit of a problem with exim, because from what I can tell,
> the recommended standard we are being advised to use with Linux is
> flock(), and exim uses fcntl. This means either we (linux exim users)
> will need to change libgdbm to fcntl and make sure all programs we use
> use fcntl, or exim will have to have optional flock() locking on Linux.

Jeepers, the business of locks on Unix is a shambles, isn't it? I am a
relative newcomer to Unix and the advice I got was to use fcntl() and
certainly not to use flock() because flock() doesn't work over a network
when you have NFS-mounted discs.

What do other Linux users on this list think? I could obviously add a
compile-time option to Exim to make it use flock instead of fcntl, but
is this the right thing to do?