Re: qmail - my experiences with the competition

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ian Jackson
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: qmail - my experiences with the competition
On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Philip: if you want to get exim ahead in the world it would be great
> if you could look at qmail's virtual domain and
> user-controlled-email-addresses features: email processing experts
> will find them very useful. (I'd suggest that having a single dotfile
> for all the addresses owned by a user would be a better way to go.)

I haven't got time to do this until Exim reaches its first proper
release, planned for the summer, but I am certainly open to ideas and
suggestions as to how it could be improved and extended, and will be
continuing to work on it.

Let me check that I have understood what you said: the facility is that
user ph10@???, say, could arrange for mail to
ph10-special@??? to be handled in some particular way. Is that
right?

One possibility for Exim would be to arrange for mail to
username-<anything> to be handled by the user's .eximfilter file (I'm
working on filtering for the next release) and then the filter rules
could distinguish the different cases.

Having already got to the state of allowing for both .forward and
.eximfilter, I'm a bit loath to invent yet another dot-file, since it
adds yet another call to stat() for each delivery.

> In summary: I'd like to see exim take over the world rather than
> qmail, which is why I'm mailing here to suggest to Philip Hazel that
> the lacking features will do him good rather than mailing the qmail
> developers to tell them that their implementation quality is poor :-).

Thanks for your support!