[exim] Re: restricted characters in address

Author: Cyborg
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: restricted characters in address
Am 09.03.24 um 22:26 schrieb Julian Bradfield via Exim-users:
> Following an idle-moment post on mailop, I wonder:
>
>  From the default config:
>
> ---
> acl_check_rcpt:
>
> accept  hosts = :
>
> deny    domains       = +local_domains
>          local_parts   = ^[.] : ^.*[@%!/|]
>          message       = Restricted characters in address
>
> deny    domains       = !+local_domains
>          local_parts   = ^[./|] : ^.*[@%!] : ^.*/\\.\\./
>          message       = Restricted characters in address

@Jeremy:

Why aren't the extended restrictions for the "$run{}" attack the new
defaults?

          local_parts   = ^[.] : ^.*[\$@%!/|] : ^.*x24 : ^.*0.44
          local_parts   = ^[./|] : ^.*[\$@%!] : ^.*/\\.\\./ : ^.*x24 :
^.*0.44

Doesn't it make sense to have two barriers in the way and not relaying
on only one defense line(the patched string expand flaw) ?

This does not costs us anything besides some cpu cycles. Existing
configs won't get changed by new defaults for new installations. It
could be changed with a new major release i.e. 4.98 .

> Firstly, I don't understand the logic of accepting any address from an
> stdio submission, while applying the restriction to a localhost tcp
> submission.

Simple: on multiuser systems you never know who got hacked, has
malicouse intents or uses faulty webapps. X

> Secondly, is there really any reason nowadays for restricting % and !
> ?
>
> The last time I saw a % address was in 1995, and the last time I saw a
> ! address was in 1994. (And of course, when I did see them, they had

As may imagined: hackers do not care when it was used last. They care,
if it triggers something they can leverage.