[exim] Cannot get Exim to verify DANE for remote smtp

Author: Dominic Preston
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Cannot get Exim to verify DANE for remote smtp
Hello all,

I am trying to configure Exim to try DANE before deciding to deliver
unencrypted mail to remote hosts.

My general configuration has:
dns_dnssec_ok = 1

And for the remote_smtp transport:
hosts_try_dane = *
dnssec_request_domains = *

My system dns resolver verifies dnssec, "dig do.havedane.net" has the
"ad" flag set.

Despite all this, havedane.net reports:
Email to domain with invalid DANE delivered.

I then test with requiring verification:
hosts_require_dane = *

This results in a failure for all three tests, for instance:
R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: DANE error: do.havedane.net lookup not DNSSEC

I've confirmed I can get a DNSSEC validated record for do.havedane.net
via dig, so why does Exim suggest otherwise?

Thanks,
Dominic.