[exim] Migrate to Exim

Author: Paul Stuffins
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Migrate to Exim
Hello,

For about the last year or so I have been running my own mail server
that has been based on the ISPmail tutorial for Debian Wheezy[1]. I
currently also use spamtitan[2] and my spam filtering solution.

Over the last few months I have been growing a bit disillusioned with
running my spam filter as SaaS, manly because my current provider
requires me to whitelist the sender and so my white list is huge.

I have been looking for a few pointers in implementing a spam filter
with my current setup, but most of the pages on the web deal with
setting a spam filter up as part of the basic setup of the server.

I was also looking for a few pointers in setting an Exim based server
up, but I want the datastore, SMTP relay and MX's to be on separate
servers, and I came across this HowtoForge tutorial[3]. That looks like
it is the kind of setup that I want to run, I am not too bothered about
running LDAP for authentication, but it is based on Debian Lenny.

Would there be many changes that need to be made to port that to a
Jessie or FreeBSD setup? I would prefer to run it on a FreeBSD setup though.

I am quite inexperienced at running a mail server, and am only running
my personal emails on it at the moment, so if there are any other
considerations that I have completely missed out then please point them out.

[1] https://workaround.org/ispmail/wheezy
[2] http://www.spamtitan.com
[3]
https://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up-a-mail-server-using-exim4-clamav-dovecot-spamassassin-and-many-more-on-debian