Re: [exim] am i too stupid for exim4?

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Andrei
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] am i too stupid for exim4?
On 2009-09-02 at 18:30 -0700, Andrei wrote:
> Thanks to Sean I've made some progress. It seems that local users on
> lists.host.org server can receive and send emails. Mailman on
> lists.host.org can
> also receive emails. However, there is an an error message when Mailman
> tries to send email out to list subscribers. The error message I see in the
> logs is "Unrouteable address" for each email address in the list (e.g.
> email@???).

I see. You've defined that you yourself are your own smarthost, trying
to send all outbound mail to yourself. Exim sees you're trying to
deliver outbound back to itself and, by default, declares that invalid.

> > > dc_smarthost='lists.myhost.org'

lists.myhost.org being the host you're experiencing this problem on.
unless you messed up the obfuscation.

If another host takes all your outbound mail, that is your smarthost.
If your host is supposed to do the DNS lookups itself and deliver to
each remote domain accordingly, then you do not want to be using a
smarthost configuration.

I know how to set that up in plain Exim, but no idea about the Debian
side of things.

-Phil