Re: [exim] Greylist memcached perl implementation

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Mike Cardwell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Greylist memcached perl implementation
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Mike
Cardwell<exim-users@???> wrote:
> Todd Lyons wrote:
>
>> This is an implementation of greylisting that uses memcached.  Here
>> are what I perceive as advantages:
>> 4. Uses existing perl module.
>> 5. Two macros do everything.
>> 6. Uses config file to set memcache servers.
>
> Talking to memcached directly from Exim by using ${readsocket} is
> considerably more efficient than using Perl. Also, readsocket is
> compiled into Exim by default and is therefore available in all of the
> standard distributions of Exim.
>
> https://secure.grepular.com/blog/index.php/2009/05/13/accessing-memcached-from-exim/

I definitely considered implementing it that way and originally
preferred that over using perl.  My understanding is that using
readsocket works for when you have one memcached server.  But my
system has 3 memcached servers and using the perl modules distributes
the keys across all 3 according to the key hash.  Using the readsocket
method I would have to come up with my own method of hashing the key
to choose which server to connect to for the data.  Since I'm
primarily a perl guy, I suppose I stayed within my comfort zone
because I don't know that I have the exim fu to properly and safely
implement said hashing algorithm.  Suggestions appreciated!  As long
as it can read an external file for the list of memcached servers,
that meets my requirements.
--
Regards...      Todd