Re: [exim] Mail to literal "*@mydomain.com"

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Mail to literal "*@mydomain.com"
On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 22:03 +0100, Illtud Daniel wrote:
> Highly unexpected today, every user on my system got an email
> when mail was sent to exim addressed to (literally)
> "*@mydomain.com". This was unexpected behaviour, to say the
> least. We use both a traditional aliases file and an LDAP
> lookup to AD, though I don't think that either was used in
> this instance as the headers on the message were:

> To: *@mydomain.com
>
> Any idea how this happened (I presume it doesn't work on all
> exim installations - try it!)? And how can I stop it?
>
> exim version 4.6

If exim -bt "*@example.com" says it can route the message, it will be
accepted as that is a valid email address.

As to why it might be accepting it:

Domain has a catchall meaning that <anything-valid>@example.com will
be accepted by the server.

Otherwise, it's up to whatever conditions you have on the router being
used. Make sure that "*" isn't being treated as a wildcard by some
strange lookup.

Apparently LDAP special characters as "#", ",", "+", """, "\", "<", ">",
or ";".

To get exim to tell you exactly what it's doing, try "exim -d+all -bt
"*@example.com"".

If you can't see why it's behaving like that, you may have to post more.

Is this _really_ you?
Domain Name: MYDOMAIN.COM
Registrar: MYDOMAIN, INC.
Whois Server: whois.namesdirect.com
Referral URL: http://www.namesdirect.com
Name Server: NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM
Updated Date: 17-dec-2007
Creation Date: 07-aug-1995
Expiration Date: 06-aug-2010

Please refrain from using domains you do not own as examples or to
obfuscate information. example.com, example.org and example.net have
been reserved for this purpose if you really feel the need to obfuscate.

--
The Exim manual - http://docs.exim.org