Re: [exim] RFC 5321, 5322

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC 5321, 5322
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Renaud Allard wrote:

> I was just browsing RFC 5321 (not finished reading yet)
> It seems it implies that exim is not RFC 5321 compliant, for example:
> "
>    Lines consist of zero or more data characters terminated by the
>    sequence ASCII character "CR" (hex value 0D) followed immediately by
>    ASCII character "LF" (hex value 0A).  This termination sequence is
>    denoted as <CRLF> in this document.  Conforming implementations MUST
>    NOT recognize or generate any other character or character sequence
>    as a line terminator.
> "

On a perhaps related note (but without wishing to detract from the above
discussion), for many months I have been bugged by a problem where I
certain messages received by Exim cannot be forwarded to local MS Exchange
servers (2003, and maybe 2007 too). Exim notes the error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 451 4.7.0 Timeout
waiting for client input

Eventually they time out off the queue. It seems to be particularly
common for mail from topica.com, but I have noticed other sources too.

Yesterday I noticed that the body of these mails does not terminate with
CRLF, there is no line termination at all, and I'm guessing that is the
issue.

Has anyone else observed this?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks