Re: [exim] Should queue processing be rewritten in Exim?

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Should queue processing be rewritten in Exim?
On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 08:37 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> This wouldn't be randomly lost emails as in 1 in every 1000 emails goes
> away.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by this? If 0.1% of my users'
emails "went away" then my colleagues fronting the service desk would be
giving me a hugely difficult time 24/7.

> This is more like having a hard drive crash and losing what's in
> the queue. It would be a rare and unexpected occurrance and it would be
> something that would be optional. Peformance vs. reliability.

Those two attributes are not necessarily in opposition :)

Anyway, as Peter already said:

"The spooling/queueing architecture is certainly an area which could be
worked on. As Philip would regularly point out, Exim was designed for
an environment where queueing was the exception rather than the rule."

If you want to see something as fundamental as a change to this piece of
the code, I guess it's sleeves-up time. I know I couldn't do it :-/

Graeme