Re: [exim] Should queue processing be rewritten in Exim?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Andrzej Adam Filip
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Should queue processing be rewritten in Exim?

On 2 Jul 2008, at 09:59, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Have you considered delaying ACK of the "final dot" of incoming
> messages?
>
> For *most* messages delivery time is below 3s. Before giving ACK to
> "the final dot" MTA does not have to commit anything from file cache
> disk because it have not "taken over" responsibility for message
> delivery. Most senders will accept a 1-2s extra delay (IMHO).

Needs a fundamental redesign of exim - all messages go through the queue
at present, and outgoing messages are not handled in the same process as
incoming.

It cannot be done within exim at present without changing it so much
that it is no longer exim.

We are also talking about a real minority requirement.

     Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]