Re: [exim] verify recipient not working

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] verify recipient not working
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Paul Welsh wrote:

> I'm running Exim 4.6 and MailScanner 4.64.3 which requires 2 instances
> of Exim to be running - one for incoming mail and the other for outgoing
> mail.

I and several others do this.

> The problem is, I can't get Exim's verify recipient functionality
> working, even though my exim.conf specifies it.

> What I expect to happen is for exim to contact the remote smtp server to
> validate the address as soon as it gets the "rcpt to" command and then
> issue an "unknown user" response if the remote smtp server rejects it.

> # accept if address is in a local domain as long as recipient can be
> verified
> accept domains = +local_domains
> endpass
> message = unknown user
> verify = recipient
>
> # accept if address is in a domain for which we relay as long as recipient
> # can be verified
> accept domains = +relay_domains
> endpass
> message = unknown user
> verify = recipient

For an arbitrary remote domain, the only action 'verify = recipient' Exim
can do is to see if it could route mail to the remote host. It has no
view on the users that domain may host for.

What you need is to read the spec sections about callouts, in particular
around section 39.31 (in manual for 4.50).

In addition, you will need to ensure that your INCOMING exim configuration
has appropriate routers and transports so that it can actually do the
callout (remember, this is done at receiving time). You will probably
want to set them verify_only though, to ensure they never get used by a
real delivery process (you will also probably have queue_only set).

Hope that gives you a nudge in the right direction,

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK