[exim] Is there a way to do this ?

Author: Phill Harvey-Smith
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Is there a way to do this ?
Hi,

Dunno if this is possible, let me explain the situation first.

I work for a department of a big UK university, we run our own Linux
based mailservers within the department, running (self compiled) exim
on SuSE 10.2 servers. The main university mailsystem runs on Microsoft
Exchange, and was previously Novell Groupwise. The department consists
of about 400-500 staff, reserchers and post graduate students.

In the past (on Groupwise) we had several department wide mail
distribution lists that departmental members could use to contact large
groups of people within the department one of these had all departmental
members on. However with the introduction of the Exchange system this
has been limited to a maximum of about 70 addresses per list, and 150
ricipients per mail, which obviously does not fill the departmental
needs. Note we have no control whatsoever over the Exchange system and
are at the mercy of policy desisions made by the main campus admins.

I have began to wonder if we could use the local exim servers to work
around this, so that we have a single address (per distribution list),
that people send mail to on Exchange, which is then passed over to our
exim server for expansion. However when the expansion was done the mail
could not just be sent to all the users at once as this would over-flow
the exchange limit, ideally it should send the message on in groups of
users less than the 150 limit, say 100. The other thing that we would
not nesecerally want is an individual mail going out to each user.

Is this doable ? if not with Exim, is there another package that would
easily integrate with Exim that could also handle this. Ideally said
package would also be able to draw it's data from a mysql table.

Cheers for hearing the long explanation.

Phill.

--
Phill Harvey-Smith, Computer Technician,
Department of Biological Sciences, Warwick University.