Re: [exim] Connections vs messages vs recipients

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Connections vs messages vs recipients
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Jethro R Binks wrote:

| I just wondered if anyone had any neat ways of summarising this, or
| resolving the issue of mismatched units (# connections vs # messages vs #
| recipients). Or just calculate a converstion factor for '# messages
| delivered from a connection' and multiply up, and not trouble whoever is
| asking with the detail. Or perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

FWIW we count number of recipients, on the grounds that "number of users
not spammed" is a useful than exchange single instance stores etc.

Therefore, when we reject a msg for N recipients after DATA (e.g
spamassassin) then we count N rejects, not 1.

Obviously when we reject at RCPT (e.g DNSBLs) we count 1.

But this doesn't help for rejects at the connection level (e.g syntax
errors) which I suspect we currently don't count.

As you say, what's important is that you say what the figures mean, and
also if possible stick to the same method of counting over time.