Re: [exim] Milter interface for Exim

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Milter interface for Exim
Hilko Bengen wrote:

> Fellow Exim users,
>
> I have just released a snapshot of "libspawner", a library that
> implements the MTA side of Sendmail's Milter protocol. This library
> can be used within other MTAs (or any software that handles mail) to
> delegate policy decisions to external daemons that built around
> Sendmail's libmilter. The source code can be found at
> <http://developer.berlios.de/projects/libspawner>.

*trimmed*

> Currently, I don't see a clean way to explicitly use of some mail
> modification actions of the Milter protocol that usually take place
> just before the MTA accepts (or rejects) a message's DATA. Those are
>
> * changing or removing headers
> * adding or removing recipients
> * replacing the body
>
> Would it be feasible to implement these as part of the ACL system?
>
> I am looking forward to any questions or suggestions you might have.
>
> Thanks for your time and bandwidth.
>
> Cheers,
> -Hilko

'All of the above' - and a great deal more - have been built-in
to Exim for (some variable number) of years, so no identifiable
need.

Not a criticsm of sendmail - just that as far as MTA's go, Exim
comes out of the tarball well-educated, heavily armed, and
spring-loaded in the RFC-complaint condition - but inordinately
flexible.

;-)

Bill