Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Author: Jeremiah Foster
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

On Nov 18, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Fred Viles wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2005 at 11:37, Jeremiah Foster wrote about
>     "Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-us":

> | But there are
> | others who spew venom unneccessarily and removing them from contact
> with
> | newer users would be a positive thing.
>
> Without debating the extent to which that might be true, I'd like to
> ask how you think creating a second list would accomplish it? Do you
> propose it be moderated?

Personally I do not think moderation necessary.

I think a second list would create an environment where new users could
help each other in a language more geared to people new to exim. Those
with more exim experience who chose to answer mail on a new-users list
would have in their minds the particular difficulties involved in
helping new users.

As someone who tries to help those new to linux, I understand how
frustrating it can be to help someone who is unaccustomed to the
command line and configuration files. But one of the side-effects of
graphical linux installers and a debian distribution that is
increasingly easy to use is the sizable group of people new to mail
software. Oughtn't we help those who have managed to get exim running
from creating open relays and the like? Realistically they are not
going to read the documentation before-hand, as much as they are
admonished to do so. I think an exim new-users list would be an
excellent starting point for the great unwashed masses.

Sincerely,

Jeremiah Foster