Re: [exim] Unexplained erratic exim 4.53 deamon connection f…

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Unexplained erratic exim 4.53 deamon connection failure
Timothy Martin wrote:
> Now that it's self monitoring i have yet to catch it in this state --
> but right now as things are running well i have only one process. I
> have an idea that might be helpful -- to set monit to alert me when exim
> becomes unresponsive but not restart it. The problem is that it uses
> email to alert me so if email goes down i don't get an alert :P I have
> to figure out a way around that.

You could try setting up a secondary exim on the same machine, running
on a different port, that you use for testing purposes. Leave the
primary exim running in the current reliable but untestable mode, and
set up the secondary to fail.

If you need to drive load to the secondary to cause the failure, you
could have the primary route duplicates of incoming messages to it with
an unseen router.

- Marc