Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users

Author: Jeremiah Foster
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] suggestion - exim-new-users
On 11/15/05, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Fred Viles wrote:
> >
> > What I'm not clear on is just how a "new users list" would have
> > helped you. In what way are we thinking that answers on the proposed
> > list would differ from answers here? All I've got so far is that the
> > charter would request more toleration of RTFM questions.
>
> I'm also somewhat sceptical of the need for splitting exim-users. MBM's
> point about thread drift makes me think it would be futile.

If I may politely disagree, I think there is little risk of thread drift.
When I post to the list
you often answer. I sometimes have a hard time understanding your answers,
obviously not because
they are wrong or incomplete but rather because they are terse and packed
with an understanding of exim
that I do not possess.

WRT the list
> being "intimidating", there is more flaming than I would like, but I think
> the regulars are reasonably tolerant of answering "simple" questions
> already.

To be frank, this list has scared off even some capable sysadmins and
developers. Of all the lists I read, this is the most
technical, and unwelcoming. It has its own culture and that culture is
intolerant of ignorance to the point of rudeness.
I hasten to add that many, indeed the core of the list, are exceedingly
polite and helpful, including Mr. Hazel and yourself. But there are
others who spew venom unneccessarily and removing them from contact with
newer users would be a positive thing.

We don't respond with RTFM, we respond with a reference to the
> configuration option that the questioner needs to know about. The
> documentation is already very good so I see little point in paraphrasing
> it.

The documentation is excellent. But it is voluminous and that is a barrier
to many, unfortunately. I see much
good in paraphrasing it.

The kinds of questions that Jason lists in his more recent post seem to me
> to be the bread and butter of exim-users.

Sincerely,