Re: [Exim] [slightly OT] Pocket Outlook with exim 4.3x?

Author: Alan Thew
To: Exim List
Subject: Re: [Exim] [slightly OT] Pocket Outlook with exim 4.3x?
Just to follow up,

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:43 , Alan Thew <Alan.Thew@???> said:

> Has anyone got the version of Pocket Outlook that ships with Pocket PC
> 2003 to so SMTP-AUTH+SSL with exim? Looking at the packet exchange, it
> does the STARTTLS but fails sometime after that.
>
> If you needed any tweaks please could you let me know.

It does work but needs a port 465 server offering -tls-on-connect

The problem _seems_ to be the fact that pocket inbox has various fallback
methods and the user is not informed of this at any point. The fallback
method is connect to port 25 and either do STARTTLS or AUTH (latter if it
sees AUTH after a EHLO). The STARTTLS is broken since it fails to do
another EHLO and misses an AUTH that might get displayed. Tests showed
that the fallback method just broke sometimes with no STARTTLS at all.

Error reporting is as bad as Outlook Express with no idea of what a remote
MTA might have told the client.

On a related subject, what log selector (I have looked several times in
the fine manual) do I need to show that it was the port 465 exim that
answered the call?

Thanks

--
Alan Thew                                       alan.thew@???
Computing Services,University of Liverpool      Fax: +44 151 794-4442