Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Fred Viles
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?
[ On Monday, March 22, 2004 at 10:04:34 (-0800), Fred Viles wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?
>
> So you *know* what you are advocating is impractical.

Actually it's not really impractical at all -- it's a big job to be
sure, but not even nearly impractical. SPF _is_ toally impractical.

The rDNS part is impractical, partly because it's not really strongly
required by any well known RFCs and partly because there are apparently
far more idiot DNS managers than there are broken mailers, but mandating
the "HELO -> A == source-IP" is easy and it is already a "MUST" mandate
in the most central and important RFCs. We just need to agree to
retract the second self-contradictory requirement in those RFCs.

It does have to be done consitently by a significant number of commonly
used domains though as otherwise there's not enough "peer" pressure on
the offenders to make them do anything about it.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>