[EXIM] problem with retry

Author: Anand Buddhdev
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] problem with retry
I've noticed odd behaviour with exim 2.12 running on Solaris 2.5.1. The
exim box is the primary MX for the domain "cspken.com":

cspken.com mail is handled (pri=100) by uucp.africaonline.com
cspken.com mail is handled (pri=50) by mail.africaonline.co.ke
cspken.com mail is handled (pri=10) by users.africaonline.co.ke

After receiving a message, the exim box uses a domain-list router to pass
the email to the downstream host. The retry rules are set to bounce the
message after 7 days (for all domains). However, on the odd occasion, exim
will receive a message, and then bounce it immediately, saying "the retry
timeout was exceeded". I've attached such a message below. Has anyone
experienced this before. The retry database created by exim consists of 2
files, with extensions .dir and .pag.

--
Anand
System Administrator

This a newly registered domain which had been setup for SMTP mail.

Thanks
John

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  administrator@???:
    Connection timed out:
    retry timeout exceeded