[exim] Re: delay not kicking in

Author: Julian Bradfield
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: delay not kicking in
On 2023-06-04, Slavko via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Dňa 4. júna 2023 13:54:49 UTC používateľ Julian Bradfield via
> Exim-users <exim-users@???> napísal:
>>I'm a small MTA, handling only relatives and one small sports club.
>>So I'm not a particularly heavy target.

> Have you properly set SPF/DKIM/DMARC and have not bad reputation? Then
> you are (or can be) good target. How good target you are, you can
> derive from 12 000 blocked IPs daily.

I don't use DMARC yet, but the rest is in place, and Gmail accepts
mail from me :)

> BTW, how many of them repeats every some days?

Actually, I was wrong - I now blacklist for ten days. I must have
changed it a while ago.

>>That's why I operate "one strike and you're out". This is occasionally
>>annoying when I'm setting up a new device and get the password wrong,
>>but I can live with that.
>
> Hmm, you can, but what other your users? It doesn't matter how many
> users you have...

There are no other users who read mail from me by IMAP - I just
forward to them (which has its own annoyances, but even though I
forward all their spam to gmail, gmail still takes mail from me,
though occasionally throttles).

> I meet similar approach some years ago, in job with our email provider.
> One of our employee did typo in his mail client password, and whole
> company (behind NAT) was blocked... Some time passed until i realized
> that, then some time passed until email provider investigated and
> solved it, nobody was happy...
>
> That is, where identifying of bad IPs can be important, as you can
> relative safe apply one time approach to them and/or block them for
> long time, and for others apply less strict rules.

Yes, if I had users like that, I would take a different approach. (My
users' home and work networks are all whitelisted, so it's only their
mobiles that they might get blocked by accident.)