[exim] Re: Routing failed deliveries through an ESP

Author: Slavko
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Routing failed deliveries through an ESP
Ahoj,

Dňa Fri, 21 Apr 2023 14:40:47 +0100 Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
<exim-users@???> napísal:

> On 21/04/2023 13:13, Slavko via Exim-users wrote:
> > it can
> > be related to per_addr option
>
> per_addr can only be used in the rcpt acl.
> You'd possibly be able to just use count=1,
> if this was and event raised once per thing
> you want counted.

I am sorry for delay, but now i find time to play with it...

I reenabled ratelimit in event msg:fail:delivery. I was wrong, it was
not the per_addr, but per_rcpt, but result is the same. As i call it
from nested ACL (acl=), the log is not useful.

AFAIK, the msg:fail:delivery event is called once per failed recipient,
and that is exactly what i want to count -- the failed recipients rate.
Previously i did it by recipient callout, but IMO events are better,
as no separate callout is done (and i cannot use hold in callout, as i
use BATV to modify envelope sender).

I reread the doc about ratelimit, and i found that only per_conn
and per_cmd has not mentioned other ACLs, where they can be used. I
will guess, that that approach was choose before events was
introduced. If that definition can be opposite -- i mean list of ACLs,
where particular option cannot be used, then many of them can be used in
events...

I was success with per_cmd/count=1, but i am not sure if that is right.
I can see right number in ratelimit DB, but i did only basic testing
yet. I guess, that per_conn will not be useful in this case to count
failed recipients, but i am not sure. Can you please confirm that?

I am not sure how to deal with the same failing recipient yet... But
can be unique=$local_part@$domain used there?

regards

--
Slavko