[exim] Re: delay not kicking in

Author: Slavko
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: delay not kicking in
Dňa 4. júna 2023 9:40:25 UTC používateľ Julian Bradfield via Exim-users <exim-users@???> napísal:

>True. Indeed, the docs for delay say that SMTP output is, by default,
>flushed before the delay, even in pipelining mode, so now I no longer
>understand why exim doesn't detect the closed stream on the first
>delay ...

IMO question is if it cancel delays only, or cancel sending
response too and only logs ACL result. I don't know, as i
don't speek C, to check sources. Packet capture can
reveal this, but i never meet that.

>I've never used external blacklists (because I don't trust other
>people to make my spam decisions for me), but that would be a harmless
>use for them. Thanks for the tip!

I will try to move your minds even more.

There are different RBLs. Some are more decent, other less
decent, but i agree, that SPAM definition is too broad to rely
on decisions of others. I prefer own checks too.

But then there are RBLs which tracks botnets and/or login
attempts. Have you enough capacity (a lot of servers/
sensors/traps/... across of world) to identify them early?
Or you identify them only after some amount of malicious
attempts?

That are hundreds of thousands compromised PCs, IoTs,
even servers (i mostly mean VPSs "servers", maintained
by users)... Do you really want, to allow all of them to
consume your resources only to reinvert wheel (that it
is some botnet)?

It is not only about SPAM, phishing and other related
attempts. Are you interested to get the same scam
from thousands compromised IPs? How it is useful?
And neverending story of "AUTH used, when not
advertised", etc, etc, ...

It is especially hard to track these bads, as when botnet
has a lot of IPs, they can repeat only after long time, but
still to be too many different IPs daily. And the attackers
doesn't use IPv6 (temporary addresses) yet...

regards

--
Slavko
https://www.slavino.sk/