[exim] Re: failure to transfer data from subprocess

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: Robert Nicholson
CC: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: failure to transfer data from subprocess
On Wed, 31 May 2023, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> So this issue hasn’t resolved itself unfortunately and so I still get the occasional email that just simply fails to deliver.
>
> Does anybody have any more ideas as to how I investigate this further since I don’t have debug as I’m not an admin and the folks responsible for the exim build claim that this is all due to the fact that I’m using a custom filter which I am but it’s understood that my filter itself couldn’t be responsible for the errors I’m seeing when things error.

"my filter" means your .forward, or $home/perlscripts/filter.pl ?
"Understood" or verified ? Can you confirm that you perlscript is
running as the expected user and with the expected environment ?

> failing that is there anyway I can force the delivery or something
> before my filter is invoked so that I can backup the message.
>
> If you remember I do this prior to my pipe but that doesn’t cause
> delivery to occur immediately
>
> save $home/Maildir/.INBOX.intray.backup/

Ah. I think you need to save to a file, not a directory.

After this line, just for the sender that always fails, add the
"finish" command:
    if $sender_address: contains ".." then finis endif

You do have
   if error_message then finish endif
near the top of your .forward file, as recommended by the filter.txt
section 3.25 ?

> after this here’s the pipe
>
> pipe "nice -10 $home/perlscripts/filter.pl"

Just to be thorough, could you try putting the full path for nice
and hand-expanding $home ?
And check that the perl binary in the first line of filter.pl
exists. If it is set with /usr/bin/env try without that.

> Still don’t see reasons why the errors still occur or anything about the messages impacted.
>
> But for at least one sender I can see _all_ their mail consistently fails.
>
> but that is not the case for all emails that fail. ie. there are some senders who’s emails fail but the same senders email won’t necessarily fail all the time.
>
> Does anybody know the signficance of the errno in this case?
>
> 2023-05-31 06:16:13 1q441n-0006Lk-3A internal problem in userforward router (recipient is elastica@???): failure to transfer data from subprocess: status=0100 readerror='No such file or directory'
> 2023-05-31 06:16:13 1q441n-0006Lk-3A == elastica@??? <robert@???> R=userforward defer (-1): internal problem in userforward router (recipient is elastica@???): failure to transfer data from subprocess: status=0100 readerror='No such file or directory’

If 0100 is the permissions of a file in octal, you might need to add
execute permission, if the system allows it.

Is this supposed to be running as user robert or elastica ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew@???