[exim] Re: Unexpected 're-routed to' in require verify = rec…

Author: Andrew C Aitchison
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Unexpected 're-routed to' in require verify = recipient?
On Tue, 23 May 2023, Tim Jackson via Exim-users wrote:

> On 23/05/2023 13:21, Sander Smeenk via Exim-users wrote:
>
>> I try to send a message to 'info@???', but Exim
>> unexpectedly changes that to 'info@???', based on
>> some DNS queries it seems?
>
>> | $ exim -f ssmeenk@??? -bt info@???
>> | info@???
>
> I'm definitely not an expert, but is this not expected behaviour based on
> RFC5321 section 5.1 [1]?
>
> "The lookup first attempts to locate an MX record associated with the
> name. If a CNAME record is found, the resulting name is processed as
> if it were the initial name."
>
>> And why does it stop there instead of following the next CNAME chain to
>> postcodeloterij.slgnt.eu.cdn.cloudflare.net?
>
> I don't know the answer to this, but perhaps it's also defined behaviour in
> an RFC somewhere? (or out of spec => undefined?)

That bit is easy:
# host -t mx email.postcodeloterij.nl
email.postcodeloterij.nl is an alias for postcodeloterij.slgnt.eu.
postcodeloterij.slgnt.eu is an alias for postcodeloterij.slgnt.eu.cdn.cloudflare.net.
postcodeloterij.slgnt.eu.cdn.cloudflare.net mail is handled by 10 mx1.slgnt.eu.

So it does follow the chain through and beyond
postcodeloterij.slgnt.eu.cdn.cloudflare.net

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew@???