Re: [exim] exim rewrites the "From:" address

Author: Nick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim rewrites the "From:" address
A seg, 27-02-2023 às 20:38 +0000, Andrew C Aitchison via Exim-users
escreveu:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, Nick via Exim-users wrote:
>
> > That doesn't address the question - no-one doubted that Exim 4.xx
> > is able to preserve the From: address.
> > The point is, what is it in the config files that makes it rewrite
> > the From: address; or alternatively, what should be in the config
> > files to make it preserve the From: address?
>
> Well, I would look at the header rewrite section first. It starts
> with
> begin rewrite
> and continues until the nexxt begin (or the end of the file).
>
> --
> Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
>                     andrew@???

The 'begin rewrite' section in my /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
is as follows:
------cut----
begin rewrite

.ifndef NO_EAA_REWRITE_REWRITE
*@+local_domains "${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
{$value}fail}" Ffrs
*@ETC_MAILNAME "${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
{$value}fail}" Ffrs
.endif

begin authenticators
----cut------
I guess the next step is to display the output of
exim -bP macros | grep NO_EAA_REWRITE_REWRITE
which produces no output at all, so NO_EAA_REWRITE_REWRITE
seems not to be set. So exim is looking at /etc/email-addresses.
I'd overlooked /etc/email-addresses. Seems that putting
an email address in there results in all email from that
user getting its From: address rewritten.
So I took out that user from the /etc/email-addresses
file. Now, that user can use mailx -r and it does what I want.
Your message solved my problem.
Thank you!