Re: [exim-dev] [exim-announce] Exim 4.96-RC0 released

Author: Kirill Miazine
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] [exim-announce] Exim 4.96-RC0 released
Beware that the just released RC0 for Exim 4.96 may break your Dovecot
LDA delivery. It did break mine, which is similar to what is described
on https://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Exim

Here is the relevant ChangeLog entry:

JH/25 Taint-check exec arguments for transport-initiated external processes.
      Previously, tainted values could be used.  This affects "pipe", "lmtp" and
      "queryprogram" transport, transport-filter, and ETRN commands.
      The ${run} expansion is also affected: in "preexpand" mode no part of
      the command line may be tainted, in default mode the executable name
      may not be tainted.

As of now I don't have a personal working solution to get untained data.
I did try a small hack, but Exim was smart enough to see what I was
doing, so I'm rolling back until I better unstand the tainting
facilities and how to untaint the data.

The concept is great, though.

• Jeremy Harris via Exim-announce [2022-04-23 20:23]: