Re: [exim] getting exim to accept mail on a domain without a…

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] getting exim to accept mail on a domain without an MX DNS record.
On 2021-11-19, russellbell--- via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:

>     'IP addresses are not domain names.
>     Yes.  I meant to say that it's a valid address.

ok

>     'They can not have MX records.'
>     Why not?  If an SMTP server at the address handles mail...

then it dosn't need an MX record.

>     'If there is any domain name that has an A record pointing to
> 123.456.789.012, it is likely to work much more often than using the
> IP address directly, even if it has no MX record.'

>     There is an A record, but there's also an MX record that
> points to our mail server, a Microsoft Outlook thing: mail sent to it
> won't arrive at the target server.

one way to avoid the need for ip literals is to make another MX record
(on a sub-domain) that points to the A record for this IP

>     Quoth Jasen Betts: 'You probably need to configure
> [123.456.789.012] as one of the domains that exim accepts for.
>     In host_accept_relay ?

could be local_domains (depending on how different your config is)

>     'you may need to enable IP literal domains too.'
>     Does local_domains_include_host_literals do this?

Exim documetation says: allow_domain_literals, I don't know where that
one comes from.

--
Jasen.