Re: [exim] Exim always expands sender_rcvhost to unverified …

Author: Bill Cole
To: Matt Corallo via Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim always expands sender_rcvhost to unverified IP
On 2021-11-18 at 09:53:38 UTC-0500 (Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:53:38 -0500)
Matt Corallo via Exim-users <exmusl@???>
is rumored to have said:

> Same, I'd think, but according to the SpamAssassin folks its
> incorrect.

I do not think that anyone involved with the SA project said anything
Exim did was "incorrect." If my discussion of this on the SA Users list
sounded like I was saying that, it was unintentional.

The Received header created by Exim in the example that you provided
were *interpreted by SA* as indicating that there was no rDNS for the
SMTP client. That's a bit surprising, given that SA and Exim have
coexisted for many years and the resulting SA rule hits (RDNS_NONE and
others) can be very costly. I have not yet examined this in depth but
given the history of SA in parsing Received headers, I expect that we
will have a fix in the next release.

As always with SA: patches are welcome. Also welcome, short of a patch,
would be clues about how to detect in an Exim-written Received header
when a SMTP client IP has no rDNS or the rDNS name doesn't resolve to
the client IP.

--
Bill Cole
bill@??? or billcole@???