Re: [exim] Exim4 delay at boot

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 delay at boot
JHM via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (So 14 Nov 2021 11:43:17 CET):
> Hello:
>
> [code]
> IPv6 socket creation failed: Address family not supported by protocol
> [/code]

IMHO that's not the reason for a 30s delay.

> Without any editing of the exim4.conf.template file, I invariably got that paniclog message:
> (yes, I am now aware that this file is a matter for Debian packagers to solve)
>
> Adding the line disable_ipv6 = true to the the 'Main' section of the exim4.conf.template file
> immediately solved the problem I was having.
>
> ie: no 30s delay and no panic log message.

Yes, this (again IMHO) disables queries for AAAA records. But, repeating
myself, I suppose, that a correctly working resolver should respond to
such queries immediatly. No matter, if you've IPv6 enabled or not.

And Exim, in case it got an IPv6 adress for a host to connect to, should
get an immediate "connection refused" or similar error from your host's
OS and then retry the other addresses (IPv4 being among them) without
any delay.

Please provide logs, strace output or tcpdump PCAP files captured during
the startup phase of Exim.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann