Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 compared with other regex engine

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Peng Yu
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 compared with other regex engine
PCRE2 was initially just a new API because the original one, after 18
years, could no longer do all that was needed. This was in 2015. All
development since - new features, code improvements, etc. have happened in
PCRE2. Some bugs were fixed in PCRE1, but now it is at end of life. If you
are starting a new project, please do NOT use PCRE1. As for differences,
the ChangeLog file for PCRE2 lists all the changes that have been made
since the fork from PCRE1 (it is now 2488 lines long). The calling
functions are similar, but slightly different to allow for more extension
and to remove the need for the caller to manipulate C structures - it is
all done by function calls.

Regards,
Philip