Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 10.35 testing issues on Windows

Author: Daniel Richard G.
To: Philip Hazel
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 10.35 testing issues on Windows
On Thu, 2020 Dec 3 11:06-05:00, Philip Hazel wrote:

> No problem. Hope you had a good holiday - though as far as giving
> thanks goes, I'm just thankful that 2020 is not going to last much
> longer, but I can at least be thankful that I and my family have got
> this far without mishap.

Given all that's happened, that feels like no small achievement. I hope
you and yours will see this through unscathed, and have my fingers
crossed that I'll manage the same.

> > However, you will want to run this by whoever maintains the CMake
> > support---
>
> There is nobody but me. I do test CMake under Linux and of course I
> can look stuff up in its documentation, but I can't test anything
> under Windows. I rely on users such as yourself to advise on changes.

My fix resolves the error I encountered, but does not address the issue
of the $<...> directive failing to work as intended. Someone more
knowledgeable than I will need to look at that at some point.

> I've just done a bit of research, and realized that I might be able to
> test RunTest.bat using Wine, which could be helpful.

Wine can be fairly hit-or-miss. I wonder if any of the hosted-CI
providers out there offer Windows builds to F/OSS projects... that would
be the least-obtrusive solution to this problem, IMO.

> Anyway, I have applied your patch to CMakeLists.txt and committed
> r1286. The release candidate has been out long enough now. Tomorrow I
> intend to run all the tests that I can and then put out the 10.36
> release.

I have given r1286 a try (from a clean SVN tree) and can confirm a
successful build and test with Visual Studio 2019. Thanks for getting
these wrinkles ironed out!

--Daniel

--
Daniel Richard G. || skunk@???
My ASCII-art .sig got a bad case of Times New Roman.