Re: [exim] [EXTERNAL] Re: Queue time logging incorrect in 4…

Author: Matt Rubright
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [EXTERNAL] Re: Queue time logging incorrect in 4.94?
On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 5:15 PM Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> On 27/10/2020 13:59, Matt Rubright via Exim-users wrote:
> > While troubleshooting some user complaints about email queue times, I
> > discovered some cases where emails are logged as having longer queue
> times
> > than they actually do.
>
> > The QT log entry shows the total queue time to be 1m24s, but the
> timestamps
> > show 5 seconds start to finish. Am I misreading this somehow? The message
> > ID doesn't show up anywhere else in the log,
> >
> > My log_selector configuration looks like this:
> >
> > +queue_time_overall +smtp_incomplete_transaction
>
> With queue_time_overall set, the QT value includes reception time - from
> the start of the smtp transaction. The acceptance ( <= ) log line is
> not made until reception is complete, So, if *transmission* of the
> message took up the missing 1m 19s that would account for what we
> see for that case.
>
> If you are getting these frequently enough for a fair chance of
> spotting another, I suggest you add smtp_connection to the logging.
> It won't be perfect - there could still be a long delay between
> accepting the connection and the start of a message transaction -
> but it may be indicative.

Thank you for giving this your attention. I turned on the smtp_connection
logging and see exactly what you suggested - the client is connecting a
minute or so before transmitting the message. Additionally, it looks like
one client in particular is behaving this way so it's almost certainly not
an issue on the server side.

Thanks,
Matt