Re: [pcre-dev] 3x-4x slowdown in pcre_match

Author: enh
To: Petr Pisar, pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] 3x-4x slowdown in pcre_match
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 12:49 AM Petr Pisar via Pcre-dev
<pcre-dev@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 04:21:44PM -0700, enh via Pcre-dev wrote:

> > > Oh, I hadn't actually looked at it, but now I have saved the file and it
> > > looks OK. Oddly, it looks reasonable to me on that mailing list URL as
> > > well (using Firefox on Arch Linux). What was a mess when you looked at
> > > it? (Just in case I'm missing something.)
> >
> > it seems to be a fairly random mix of monospaced and proportional text
> > for me. for example, the first line "Index:" is proportional, but then
> > the --- and +++ lines are monospaced, and it goes back and forth a
> > lot. (in both Chrome and Firefox.)
> >
> That's because the HTML code produced by Lurker is wrong.
> E.g. a text around CHECK_INCLUDE_FILE line reads:

> It seems that Lurker presents the plain text messages with a proportional text,
> but when it thinks a piece of text looks like a code, it switches to an
> unproportional block. And it cannot recognize the end of the patch properly.
>
> This is either a bug in ther Lurker, or the e-mail was sent erroneously with
> a format=flowed MIME attribute.

if gmail's "Show original" is to be believed, the patch wasn't
format=flowed, so it's presumably just lurker's problem (which would
explain why the downloaded patch is okay).

and to think that i thought that just sending a patch to the mailing
list would be less error-prone than trying to use the bug database...
:-)