Re: [exim] truncated addr->message in warning messages

Author: Victor Ustugov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] truncated addr->message in warning messages
Victor Ustugov via Exim-users wrote on 24.12.2019 22:56:

> Why the value of addr->message is different in warning messages sent by
> queue runner and warning messages sent by exim manually executed with -v
> -M options?
>

> This is a piece of warning message sent by exim -v -M:
>

>   test@???
>     host mail2.itsupport.kiev.ua [91.197.146.24]
>     Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
> TO:<test@???>:
>     451-Recipient address deferred;
>     451-Recipient address deferred;
>     451-Recipient address deferred;
>     451-Recipient address deferred;
>     451 Recipient address deferred;

> This is a piece of warning message sent by queue runner:
>

>   test@???
>     Delay reason: H=mail2.itsupport.kiev.ua [91.197.146.24]:
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<test@???>:
>     451-Recipient address deferred;
>     451-Rec

Truncation of the error message does not depend on the method of sending
the message (queue runner or exim -v -M).

> As I understood, the length of addr->message in this case is limited to
> 150 (maximum data length of DBM records).

Problem occurs when where are two or more messages for such recipient in
the queue.

Looks like the length of the error message really limited by the maximum
data length of DBM records.

--
Best wishes
Victor Ustugov        mailto:victor@corvax.kiev.ua