Re: [exim] very large messages

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] very large messages
On 20/12/19 10:09 am, Jack Bailey via Exim-users wrote:
> On 12/19/19 3:09 PM, Cyborg via Exim-users wrote:
>> Am 19.12.19 um 21:57 schrieb Jack Bailey via Exim-users:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to know if anyone else is getting these:
>>>
>>> In this message, this last line occurs over 191M times.  The message
>>> is over 8GB.  I deleted a message earlier today that was over 45GB,
>>>
>>> Jack
>>>
>> If you did not add a  "message_size_limit = 0" to your exim.conf, i
>> highly doubt that you got that mail in that size. Exim has a build in
>> limit of 50MB message size.
>>
>> The message could be increased in size while processing, i.e. due to
>> configuration mistakes in form of loops or external scripts.
>>
>> best regards,
>> Marius
>>

> But I have a limit which is what has me scratching my head.
>
> mx1$ grep size exim.conf
> message_size_limit          = 50M

That is one impressively large spam email!

Do you have header_maxsize set?
    header_maxsize    total size of message header

You're also probably better off grepping "exim -bP" as that should give
you the running configuration in the unlikely event that the config file
isn't the one being used. (Damn you PHP and your zillions of php.ini files!)

If you do have message_size_limit and header_maxsize both set to
something sensible and you're still getting a multi-GB message, then you
may have found a bug.

The header comes from their system adding a single header for every
recipient they add to the email. I'm surprised that didn't kill the
sending system.