Re: [exim] localhost [reverse] lookup reaches external/globa…

Author: Konstantin Kletschke
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] localhost [reverse] lookup reaches external/global DNS
Dear Exim-People,

indeed I am quite sure the reverse DNS lookup was done by the
reverse_host_lookup in ACL acl_smtp_mail.
Not only sure, the log shows its away.
May be it is a bad place to call an reverse lookup when at this check
mails can come from 127.0.0.1?
But the test was not mandatory, it was redundant. I removed it because a
reverse lookup check is done much more earlier on the real IP. I was not
aware this is doubled with second test totally useless. Fine.

The connection timeout I pointed out happening then is caused by the
clamav daemon which amavis is calling. It is very flaky and semi-dies
sometimes. I am actually debugging this and check what this has to do
with the localhost availability in nameservers. But it is very flaky in
my install ATM...

Also, I temporarily removed clamav from my amavis, the 4min startup to
operational delay is away.
It was clamav deploying its socket after this long time and not
immediatley. May be it takes so long.

So exim is out, everything is fine with it :)

Kind regards
Konstantin