Re: [exim] Outgoing mail

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Outgoing mail
On 29 Aug 2019, at 12:21, MaDhAt2r via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> That is what I originally thought. But when I send from an address like user@??? and that is a user of the system it goes out. But when I send from nouser@??? that is not a user the system, then it gets rejected by Exim. I get the following messages:
>
> 2019-08-29 06:14:14.453 [21564] H=(localhost.localdomain) [192.168.???.???]:59454 I=[???.???.???.???]:25 sender verify fail for <nouser@???>: Unknown user
> 2019-08-29 06:14:14.453 [21564] H=(localhost.localdomain) [192.168.???.???]:59454 I=[???.???.???.???]:25 F=<nouser@???> rejected RCPT <nouser@???>: Sender verify failed

When verifying an address, Exim needs to know how to route the address - that is, where to send it.

If in your case example.com is in the local_domains domainlist, then you need a way to handle addresses which aren’t local users. As the emails are going out with those addresses in, in theory they may need to come back again (albeit not always to the same system).

There are several ways to do this, but the basic one is a router & transport pair that handles the domains in the local_domains domainlist. The router needs knowledge of *all* the addresses in a given local domain - whether explicitly as a list, or as a wildcard (which is usually not recommended).

As you’ve not provided your configuration, there’s not much we can suggest in detail.

Graeme

PS please consider subscribing to the list with the address you’re posting from, otherwise your emails will continue to be delayed in the non-subscriber moderation queue.