Re: [exim] Exim and Postfix

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim and Postfix
Eliza via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Mi 28 Aug 2019 04:10:19 CEST):
> Hello,
>
> Is exim a multi-processes MTA while postfix is a threads powered MTA?
> what's the main difference between these two?

The architectural differences Victor already pointed out, and the key
features of Postfix.

Exim focuses on outstanding flexibility. I often compare it with a MTA
toolkit.

The Exim configuration partly mimics a programming language, and allows for
a multitude of runtime expandable parameters, you can use the embedded
Perl interpreter, use database lookups (key/value, directory,
relational) in almost any places of the configuration.

Its runtime configuration allows you to build sophisticated ACL for
incoming messages, build sophisticated mail routing (e.g. based on
content scanning results, mail headers, external programs, …)

Exim uses a structured configuration file, which makes automated changes
slightly more difficult than a flat configuration. While the shipped
example configuration file looks complex (examples and comments), you
can strip down a running configuration (Internet host, TLS, local
mailboxes for system users) to about 10…15 lines. The rest is optional.

Exim does not have a shophisticated spool manager, as the core idea is,
that you shouldn't have lots of messages in your spool :). IMHO external
spool managers exist.

Other features, that should be comparable with Postfix: strong and
active userbase, open source, helpful and active developers, running on
the majority of internet connected hosts, being the default MTA of at
least one Linux distribution, etcpp

A Postfix user pointed out: If Postfix is like Playmobil, then Exim is
like Lego.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann