Re: [exim] Sieve legal question, somehow offtopic

Author: Markus Robert Kessler
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sieve legal question, somehow offtopic
> On 24 Mar 2019, at 3:40, jan-jun.2019--- via Exim-users wrote:
>
>> So, again, please excuse me -- this is a generic legal question, not
>> (only) related to exim.
>
> As described, not AT ALL related to Exim, as Exim does not implement the
> functionality you are asking about.
>
> Maybe you should ask ask lawyers then, rather than Exim admins. Ideally,
> ask a lawyer with relevant experience and expertise that you have paid
> to give you legal advice.
>
> I am not a lawyer and have no experience at all interacting with EU law
> in any meaningful way. However, for over 20 years I've had a steady
> trickle of occasional Germans tell me with absolute certainty that the
> way I configure and manage mail servers violates German privacy law. No
> lawyer has ever told me the same thing, even German lawyers when
> discussing systems subject to German law in a professional business
> context.
>
> Everyone who has ever asserted to me that I could not legally configure
> a mail system to reject or discard or content-filter or preserve email
> in a particular way has been a spammer, a spammer's collaborator, a mail
> admin, or some combination of the three. None have been lawyers
> qualified to make such assertions.
>
> I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you want legal advice,
> find a lawyer.

Hi Bill,

many thanks for your exciting report!
Yes, German law is just annoying, and now, we have to include EU law (like
DSGVO / GDPR) as well. So, no one really knows what is allowed and what is
not. I am not surprised at all to read what you say here :-)

But, maybe, someone out here within the EU may tell something like "yes,
we also had to skip sieve reject". Or, "nonsense, we still use it", or
something like that?

Many thanks to everyone here!

Best regards,

Markus