Re: [exim] exim spfquery config

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] exim spfquery config
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 23:36:26 +0000 Graeme Fowler via Exim-users wrote:

[we do hatez the mangling and inability to just reply to this ML anymore]
> On 12 Feb 2019, at 21:56, Sebastian Nielsen via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> > I disagree with this. So many organizations that have had softfail for
> > several tens of years for no apparent reason. Gmail is no exception.
>
> There’s no way in the SPF definition to indicate “apparent reason”.
>
> You either have a hard fail, or a soft fail, or something else. You as a remote viewer cannot determine intent by the assertion of a domain’s SPF policy; that way madness lies.
>
> Graeme

I can only repeat this a thousand times.

We can't and won't use/publish SPF/DKIM/DMARC for long term established
domains that have users forwarding left right and center, participate in
mailing lists and goat knows what else PRECISELY because people out there
will ignore our policy settings and use any such published records to
filter things hard based on was at best a subtle hint in an inherently
broken design.

See also my next post later today.

Regards,

Christian