Re: [exim] How to block using exim re:[doctor@nk.ca: Your ac…

Author: Niels Dettenbach
To: exim-users, Ellen Van Landingham
Subject: Re: [exim] How to block using exim re:[doctor@nk.ca: Your account has been hacked! You need to unlock.]
Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2019, 20:56:03 CET schrieb Ellen Van Landingham via
Exim-users:
> Personally, I have an Exim filter that rejects any message
> containing the word "bitcoin" in $message_body. This won't be
> useful for you if you actually use bitcoins for anything, but it
> works for me.

This is usually a very bad idea - even for pure personal usage, as there are
many ham mails around where these word could be found in their content (i.e.
incl. well known newspapers, financial infos and online shopping e-commerce
who offer payment by bitcoin (or describe why not in their notification mails)
etc. - or your own list mail here f.i....). On the other hand, i've seen a
lot of spam which contains "hot" terms/words in a mutated / non-official way -
i.e. "bitc0in" or "bitco1n"...

fighting spam in a reliable way is a "science by itself" (as the spammer
business is still huge and clever) - unfortunately simple dictionary filters
are not working reliable anymore since decades. we've seen customers who
build such simple word filters (by sieve or similiar) byself and complained
monthes later about "lost" important mails...

hth
best regards,

niels.
--