Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE_STUDY_JIT_COMPILE option bug?

Author: Ervin Hegedüs
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE_STUDY_JIT_COMPILE option bug?
Hi Philip, and all,

I can't thank you enough for your help :),

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 04:22:41PM +0000, ph10@??? wrote:

> Current development of PCRE is called PCRE2 (the 10.xx series of
> releases). I recommend that you upgrade to using a recent release if at
> all possible. I realize this is non-trivial, because the API has changed
> (that was the whole point of creating PCRE2).

ah, thanks - looks like I'm using the old pcre:

ii  libpcre3:amd64      2:8.39-11

but the TESTING Debian contains the new one:

apt-cache showpkg libpcre2-dev
Versions:
10.32-3

> PCRE1 (the 8.xx series) is obsolescent and the only forseen changes are
> major bugfixes, and I'm not expecting many (any?) of these now.

right, I'll upgrade it.

> The
> latest release (8.42) has been out a year, and the next one (8.43) has
> just been released as a Release Candidate. Only 9 changes happened
> during that year, and my hope is that we are nearing the final release.

well, now I'm a littlebit confused: the PCRE1 (8.xx) libraries
called libpcre3, and the PCRE2 (10.xx) libraries called
libpcre2...?

> It has been four years since PCRE2 was released and I've forgotten a lot
> about how it works. I had to read the manual to remember how to set up
> the pcretest input, and I know that if I have to look at the code it
> will be almost like starting with a strange program. I do not think this
> is a sufficiently serious issue to spend time trying to find out why the
> output differs.
>
> I hope this helps.

yes, thanks again.

I'll try it with 10.32 - but if I understand correctly, this
"bug" will comes again, and the next release will be helped.

Thanks,

a.