Re: [exim] Throttle sending rates?

Author: Jan Ingvoldstad
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Throttle sending rates?
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 12:54 PM Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> On 29/10/2018 11:29, Rich Lott - Artful Robot via Exim-users wrote:
> > I couldn't -for example- find any examples of how to move 0-/N/
> > messages from one queue to the main queue.
>
> Given there's no queue-runner for this alternate queue, there's
> nothing looking there - so no locking issues. Just move the files.
>
> Alternately, tell exim to run one (at a time) message ID from the
> named alternate queue. (but that's harder scripting, as you have
> to pull the ID out of the filename).

It's not hard scripting.

The ID is the first 16 chars of the filename, or everything in the header
filename except "-H".

In a POSIX shell or bash shell, this is how you extract that from a
filename stored in $filename, to the variable $id:

id=${filename%-H};

So, assuming a typical Exim 4 single-letter subdirectories spool directory
tree (substitute your chosen specific tree if necessary):

pushd /var/spool/exim4/input;
for d in ?; do
  pushd $d;
  for filename in *-H; do
    id=${filename%-H};
    # Do something useful with $id
  done;
  popd;
done;
popd;

This way, you can completely replace Exim's queue runners with your own
logic, if you want, but, eh, be careful?
--
Jan