Re: [exim] Vacation mail does not work if mail is forwarded …

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Vacation mail does not work if mail is forwarded to mailbox
On 2018-10-29, Mauritz Swanepoel via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Thank you Ian,
>
> Just to be sure, in my logs below testmail@??? is the actual vacation mailbox. Any emails sent to that address should send a vacation mail. My tests below was:
>
> 1. Send a mail directly to testmail@??? from mymailbox@??? via Outlook.
> 2. Send a mail to testmail@??? from mymailbox@??? via Outlook which in return will forward my mail to testmail@???. In both logs below only mymailbox@??? is shown as intended (as we want the mail to "originate" from my mailbox and not the forward account).
>
> Point 1 works perfectly, point 2 does deliver the mail to the testmail@??? mailbox (the vacation mailbox) but simply does not send trigger the vacation mail router.
>
> I cannot show you the forward config as that is setup via cPanel. The actual testmail account is setup on a cPanel server so not entirely sure how to extract that config but can confirm it's working.
>
> Thank you again for your willingness to help 😊

assuming vacation is https://www.unix.com/man-page/all/1/vacation/
it relies on .forward processing to operate so the transport for your
mail must in all cases include .forward processing.

also vacation checks the to header and does not respond if it thinks
the email was not addressed to you - this prevents messing up mailing
lists and the like.

you many need to add somethig like

-a mymailbox@???

to the vacation command-line in your .forward file