Re: [exim] Throttle sending rates?

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Throttle sending rates?
On 2018-10-24, Rich Lott - Artful Robot via Exim-users <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Problem I'm Trying To Solve:
>
> I'm having repeated trouble with Microsoft owned domains. They have a
> proprietary SmartScreen system which they do not seem to be able to
> control (according to their own support teams). It means that I
> frequently find all mail to @hotmail @outlook etc  is returned with a
> "550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable." message.
>
> I use exim to send bulk mail (e.g.newsletters from my CRM) and also
> transactional emails - I run several petition tools which send a "Thanks
> for signing, please ask your friends to sign" sort of emails - these can
> get quite popular and generate a lot of mail in a short period.

So when they ask their friends, do they use their own methods? or are they
submitting names to your mailing list?

> All mail is DKIM signed; SPF is in place; PTR records too. I believe my
> server is set up properly.
>
> The Solution I'm Asking About
>
> I was wondering if it would help things if I rate limited the sending of
> mail to Microsoft. e.g. mail to these domains gets put in queue and that
> queue gets processed at a certain rate.
>
> How would I implement that? I'm using exim 4.89

one way would be a named queue and then a sleep in the pre-connect code
(or one of the routers) for that queue.

> If anyone has any other advice on the problem it would be gladly received.

Multiple ip-addresses is the only solution that I have found to
actually work vs outlook.com.

to avoid problems with greylisting make the IP choice permanent by
basing it on an invariant like $message_exim_id