Re: [pcre-dev] Serialization format versioning

Author: Giuseppe D'Angelo
To: pcre-dev
CC: zatlas1, skunk
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Serialization format versioning
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 16:28, <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Pcre-dev wrote:
>
> > Orthogonal question: is that the amount of information sufficient to
> > protect against decoding of trusted data, but on the wrong OS / PCRE
> > installation / etc.?
>
> As long as it's the same endianness and the same PCRE2 release, it
> should work, I think. But as Zoltán said, this was never intended as a
> general way of shipping around compiled patterns.

Not as a general way, but it's been a requested feature for
QRegularExpression to be able to save/restore the bytecode. While I
can tell the users to never restore from untrusted data, my question
was about data saved from PCRE itself -- that is, if it's guaranteed
to work in any case (this includes rejecting loading, important bit is
not to crash), especially using a platform for saving and another
platform for loading.

Thanks,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo