Re: [exim] How Does One Stop the Warning: No server cert-- m…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How Does One Stop the Warning: No server cert-- messages?
Martin McCormick via Exim-users <exim-users@???> (Fr 01 Jun 2018 18:54:05 CEST):

> /var/log/exim4/mainlog has 166 of it's 305 lines occupied with:
>
> Warning: No server certificate defined; will use a selfsigned one.
> Suggested action: either install a certificate or change tls_advertise_hosts option

> I would truly love to do that as this system doesn't need to
> authenticate incoming TLS connections but I have tried going to
> /etc/exim4/main/tmp/03_exim4-config_tlsoptions
> to make the warning go away and nothing changes. Originally, the
> setting was
>
> MAIN_TLS_ADVERTISE_HOSTS = *
>
>       I tried nothing after =, a ! after = and the English word
> 'none'. I also generated a self-signed certificate to try to make
> the program happy but nothing, so far, has made the warnings go
> away.
>       Many thanks for any easily-reversible fix.

You do not want to switch off tls_advertise_hosts.

Check, where the Debian config scheme allows you to set the path names
for the crt and the key file and put your self generated crt and key
there. Watch the permissions on the whole path, Exim reads these file as
the Exim runtime user, Debian-exim on your system.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann