Re: [exim] rate limit for maximum outgoing emails to mail-re…

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] rate limit for maximum outgoing emails to mail-relay
Hi, Jeremy -

Sadly we're not building from source, but our policy is to use the package
that comes with the LTS (Long Term Stable) release of Ubuntu on which we
run the service. The next LTS release is due in April, at which point I
leapfrog from 4.86 + security fixes to 4.90.1. (Yay!) A shame, as I'm
pretty sure being able to detect the pass number would be a quick fix for
the router/ACL combo.

By the way, having played with this now I'm beginning to come around to it
being a powerful and flexible way of managing rate limiting for outgoing
mail… well, if it worked with our -qq runners! :-) Maybe the way forward is
to flesh out the Wiki page you started: something I'm happy to try and do
if you/others would then check it and correct/improve any mistakes etc I
make.

I'm going to check whether the hosts I used to have to try and limit
connections to still have that restriction; I know there have been some
changes made to them. If so, I might be able to use the -q option to spark
queue runners instead of -qq as a workaround.

As for top-posting, that's a habit brought about by many modern email
programs. My preference used to be for interleaved (back in the days of
Pine!), then top-posting, followed by bottom-posting (wading through tons
of old stuff to reach the new is a pain). With G Suite's mail it not only
creates your reply to top-post but also conveniently hides all the included
content, making it easy to overlook and trim. As it hides included content
by default on received messages, us Gmail/G Suite users are now all used to
not having to see/worry about it. :-)

I'll try to remember, but it's already a faff replying to the list as it is:

- Hitting Reply would send my message to you personally and not the list.
- So to get the list's address included I have to change to Reply To All.
- But that includes your own individual address too, which I know you
also dislike, so then I have to edit your address out of the TO, and move
the list address from CC to TO.
- Manually trimming out included text is then yet another step:
difficult to remember when (a) it's hidden from sight below a faint grey
ellipsis character, (b) I'm used to not having to do it for the bulk of
emails I send and (c) my mind is focussed on the problem/solution.

But I'll try… :-)

(And indeed have just managed to stop my fingers from clicking Send before
actually doing the trimming this time!)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm